On this episode of Safety of Work, we discuss how you can know if your safety team is a positive influence on your safety climate.
- We often talk about how leaders affect safety, but we never think of the team.
- Using the research paper Improving Safety Culture Through the Health and Safety Organization as a framework for this discussion.
- Getting a baseline measure before making any changes.
- What makes a good quantitative experiment.
- The findings of the research paper and what it tells us.
- How to be a role model for safety interactions.
“We heavily rely on and almost solely rely on line managers in the organization to influence, create change and affect the organizational safety climate.”
“It’s really tempting to reduce safety to measurable indicators…”
“I think there are some things that we can, practically, learn from this [study].”
Nielsen, K. J. (2014). Improving safety culture through the health and safety organization: A case study. Journal of safety research, 48, 7-17.