On this episode, we discuss the relationship between leadership beliefs and leadership practices.
Tune in to hear us discuss the paper Site Managers and Safety Leadership in the Offshore Gas and Oil Industry and its survey’s findings.
- Leadership is something everyone agrees is key to workplace safety.
- The paper we reference is Site Managers and Safety Leadership in the Offshore Gas and Oil Industry.
- Matching the research question to a survey is quite difficult.
- This research paper had a uniquely large sample size.
- Understanding what people think good leadership and safety look like.
- The methods by which the survey was produced and why they worked.
- The results of the massive survey.
“If we think about the effort it would take now to try to actually get thirty-six organizations to, at the same time, want to do the same research project, may be near-on impossible.”
“I don’t think there is any particular reason to believe that people’s attribution of accidents changes with experience and leadership style.”
“Once we try to fix problems with safety by putting in systems and procedures…it’s not a case of being able to just easily build back in good leadership…”